Monday, August 25, 2008

Welcome to the new blog!

Hi Everyone!

Welcome to my new SCD blog. Here's the history. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in the summer of 2007. I was immediately put on all of the standard medications. Unlike a lot of the other sufferers of IBD my doctor immediately approached me with the idea that I needed to do my research and experiment with my diet so that I could find the right combination of medication and diet to alleviate most of my symptoms. It didn't take long to come across all of the reports about the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and it's effectiveness on many types of gut related issues. I immediately ordered Elaine Gottschall's book Breaking the Viscious Cycle and plowed through it in a couple of hours. I was very impressed with how she outlined the evidence, her theory, and her personal experiences in treating her daughter. Though I read other books, websites, and personal experiences of other sufferers I decided to go forward with the SCD.

Boy, did I bite off more than I could chew! I was able to follow the diet very well for a few months. But as the diet is very restrictive - no wheat, no corn, no rice, no sugar, no lactose, I had a hard time staying faithful. All of my favorite foods and diet staples had been eliminated. I had great results while on the diet, my symptoms almost completely disappeared during the time I was very committed. The amount of medication I needed was drastically reduced. But as I began to cheat the symptoms crept back in. Slowly at first and then more aggressively. I have been off of the diet totally since March and during that time I have experienced some of my worst symptoms to date. I'm now back on all of the heavy meds including Prednisone.

What's the point? The point is that I'll be going back on the SCD as soon as the course of steroids are over. This relapse experience has taught me that the SCD did more for my condition than the meds. I want to feel that great again. So stay tuned, I'll be reporting all my of successes and failures. Cookbook and recipe reviews, too.

I'd love to hear about everyone else's experience. Feel free to drop a comment.

Happy Eating!
Christy

No comments: