Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Pumpkin Scones: Grain Free, Egg Free, Sugar Free

Hi Guys! Glad to be back after the hectic Labor Day. It seems like everyone I know was born at the beginning of September and I've been to more than my fair share of birthday parties so far this month. More than I can count on one hand. And one of them my own. Yes, I'm a year older. But as far as I'm concerned I'm still 29. And will always be 29.

For my birthday this year I was craving the fall. The cool weather, the smell of pumpkin, and the color orange everywhere. Of course, it's still 90 degrees here but that didn't stop me from attempting these totally luscious Pumpkin Scones.


To call these scones is a bit of a stretch. Scones often have a biscuit-like texture. These came out a bit more soft, almost creamy. And based on their bake time can be more or less moist. Shorter bake time = moister. Longer bake time = drier. I've had them both ways and both are delicious.

Just so you know how delicious, check out this closeup of the moister scones.

Posted by Picasa

Yes, those are chocolate chips you see. I know, I know. Chocolate chips are not SCD legal. But it was my birthday treat. Cut me some slack.

So let's get to it. The recipe, adapted from the Veganomicon.  These scones are completely grain free, egg free, and sugar free.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup of almond flour
3/4 cup of coconut flour
1/2 cup of honey
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup of butter (can also use margarine)
1/2 cup cashew milk (can also use almond milk, any other nut milk, or cow/goat's milk)
2 tsp ground chia seeds (can also use flaxseed, or 1 whole egg)
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup of chocolate chips (or golden raisins, cranberries, pecans, walnuts etc.)

Instructions:
  • Heat the oven to 350 degrees and line a pan with parchment paper.
  • Mix the flours and spices in a large bowl.  Cut the butter into pieces and mix it into the four mixture until it's crumbly.
  • In a separate bowl mix the ground chia seeds with the almond milk until thickened.  Then add the pumpkin puree and honey and stir until fully combined.
  • Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.  The batter will be moist and slightly crumbly.  Add the chocolate chips or other mix in and stir until incorporated.  Be careful not to overmix the dough.
  • Squish the dough together into a large ball and flatten it onto your parchment lined pan.  You want the disc to be about and inch thick.  Then take a sharp knife and cut the dough disc into slices.  This pre-scoring will help when they're finished backing.  Or you can drop the dough onto the pan and make individual rounds.
  • Bake for 15-17 minutes for moister scones.  Bake for 18-20 minutes for drier scones.  Let them cool before you make the final slices.  

Makes 8 large scones depending on shape.

If you give these a try let me know what you think!

2 comments:

andrea said...

Wow - great recipe! I just made it using kombucha squash (Japanese pumpkin) and it came out super sweet! Delish - thanks for posting!

Christy said...

So glad you liked them Andrea! They are perfect for the fall weather. I've never used kombucha squash before. I'll have to give it a go.