Friday, August 27, 2010

Recipe Review: 101 Cookbooks "Sauteed Zucchini"

I had an opportunity to come across some really pretty yellow squash this week. So I took a chance on a recipe that I've had my eye on from 101 Cookbooks. If you don't read her blog, do so immediately. It's amazing. And her food photography is stunning. The pics alone are enough to make you eat anything she posts about.

I've had squash prepared a number of ways over the years, but somehow I've missed the simple saute. But don't be fooled by this recipe. Though it's simple it doesn't taste simple. It's quite simply amazing.



Admittedly, I made a few mistakes in my own preparation.  For one, I overfilled my pan which resulted in less browning than I would have liked and more steaming.  This is something her recipe warns about so don't make the same mistake I did.  I also omitted the dill, because I didn't have any.  And I omitted the almonds because I just don't like them.  But still the dish was quite possibly the best squash I've ever had.  And certainly the best squash I've ever made myself.

Posted by Picasa

Note that the recipe calls for A LOT of garlic and shallots. So if you don't like those flavors this dish will not appeal to you. I however, love garlic and shallots and this recipe hit that spot hard! It was delicious with chicken and I imagine it would also go great with beef. But I think the flavors might be too strong for something like fish or pork as an accompaniment.

I'll definitely be making this again as soon as I can find more excellent squash. I suggest you do the same.

No comments: