Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Recipe Review: Comfy Belly's Candied Pecans

I had the chance to make the Candied Pecans that I found on one of my favorite blogs, Comfy Belly.  I'd actually been looking for a candied nut recipe.  One my favorite pre-SCD foods was honey roasted nuts.  But those are loaded with illegal ingredients and no actual honey that I could spot.

These homemade pecans turned out spectacularly.  They were easy to prepare and used very simple ingredients.  Basically, just nuts, butter, honey, and spices.  Using parchment paper (which I did) or a silpat is necessary to keep the nuts from sticking to the pan while they roast.


You can see from my less than stellar pic that I only have a few left. They were so amazing right out of the oven. Be careful not to burn yourself while shoveling them greedily into your mouth! The spice mix is lovely and basic, though I may try to put my own spin on it next time and make them hot and spicy! And I'm definitely going to try this with walnuts. And cashews. And any other nut that strike my fancy. Yum!

My biggest concern was that the nuts would be too sticky and clump together. But if you let them dry well after roasting them, making sure to separate them well on the pan, sticking is not a problem at all. They store well in the fridge and make a great sweet snack.

Definitely give this one a try!

No comments: